Approximately 40% of Americans will be diagnosed with some type of cancer in their lifetime. Many cancer treatments today are available in pill form through a specialty pharmacy, whereas historically, most cancer treatments were only available by IV infusion through a cancer treatment facility. Like IV-infused drugs, these oral therapies are not without their fair share of side effects. The role of the specialty pharmacy is to help minimize side effects in order to help each person stay committed to therapy and gain the full benefits of the drug, increasing the probability of overall survival. Marly Arbuckle, senior director, specialty solutions and strategy, discusses the key performance indicators that demonstrate these hurdles are being addressed, helping members continue their therapy, increasing the potential of remissions.
- National Cancer Institute. Cancer Statistics (2020). https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/understanding/statistics.
- Orphan Drugs in the United States: Rare Disease Innovation and Cost Trends Through 2019. https://www.iqvia.com/insights/the-iqvia-institute/reports/orphan-drugs-in-the-united-states-rare-disease-innovation-and-cost-trends-through-2019.
- Cleveland Clinic Cancer Diagnosis & Management https://www.ccjm.org/content/ccjom/61/6/468.full.pdf.
- Elixir Specialty (2022). 2021 Elixir Specialty Key Performance Indicators. https://elixir.info/specialty-KPI.
- Brito C, Portela MC, Vasconcellos MT. Adherence to hormone therapy among women with breast cancer. BMC Cancer 2014, 14:397.
- Güth U., Myrick ME, Schötzau A, et al. Breast Cancer Res Treat (2011) 129: 799. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-011-1668-y.
- Gajra, A, et al. Predictors of Chemotherapy Dose Reduction at First Cycle in Patients Age 65 Years and Older with Solid Tumors. Advances in Pediatrics., U.S. National Library of Medicine, 7 Feb. 2015.
* Elixir cannot guarantee savings.